All you have to do is watch the evening news to realize there is unrest in all corners of the world, even right here in our own back yard. Although the images and tragedies you see played out every night on the TV seem so far away, don’t think that any of us are immune.
Perhaps you’ve been caught up in the latest economic downturn and find yourself without a job. Considering the condition of our economy these days, and with no signs that anything will be getting better any time soon, I’m sure your thoughts have naturally turned to protecting your family to the best of your abilities.
Providing for your family may be a little easier when you’re employed, but all bets are off when your employer tells you your position has been eliminated.
It’s times like these when planning and preparation can really be a lifesaver.
One of the most basic and powerful things you can do to help your family survive any crisis is to create your very own survival garden.
Whether you have a green thumb or not, anyone can grow a garden. All it takes is a little work, a little planning, and some cooperation from Mother Nature.
Your garden doesn’t have to be a huge piece of land that you need a tractor to tend to. In fact, you’d be surprised at how many vegetables you can get from a small piece of well cared for land.
Planting a survival garden will give you a sense of pride and security in the most arduous of economic times, and the advantages are numerous. It’s also a fun and healthy activity that you can involve the entire family in.
Check out the list below to find out the best things to include in your own survival garden.
- Beans – one of the most versatile and rapidly growing vegetables there is, and with so many varieties out there, you’re sure to find different kinds to suit every member of the family. Just a few of the types are bush beans, pole beans, kidney and many others. Beans are hardy and can be dried and stored, and provide great nutritional value.
- Potatoes – The potato is almost everyone’s favorite. They are easy to grow and can be cooked in a variety of ways. They also provide good nutritional value.
- Squash – while not everyone’s most favorite vegetable, squash grows quickly and abundantly, and there are endless varieties.
- Tomatoes – Almost everyone loves tomatoes. They are easy to grow and are a great time to be canned and preserved for consumption when it’s too cold to grow a garden
- Turnips – Turnips are extremely good for you and are very disease-resistant and easy to grow. Don’t forget that the greens are nutritious and can be eaten as well.
These are just a few of the many varieties of delicious vegetables that you can grow in your very own survival garden. As we said before, just because you don’t have a green thumb or have never grown anything in your life, don’t get discouraged.
Another point to consider is the fact that you know where all the food you’re consuming is coming from. These days, with modern transportation shrinking the world it’s quite possible to get fruits and vegetables from a different side of the globe. While that might seem convenient, it can also lead to problems.
Some countries have much less restrictive laws regarding the use of pesticides and fertilizers, and fruits and veggies that come from exotic locations could be exposed to higher levels of toxins than what we receive in the US.
When you grow your own produce, you know exactly where the food comes from and what type of chemicals, if any, are used during the growing process.
Your family deserves the best food they can get, and growing your own food is the safest and most satisfying way to ensure they get the best food to eat.
Creating a family survival system will give you peace of mind and satisfaction, and a survival garden should be a main part of your overall plan.
If you’ve been noticing all the unrest in the world and have been thinking about the best way to protect your family, but don’t quite know where to start, you’re not alone. Many, many people are thinking along these lines.
I have a friend who has figured out the best ways to get started when it comes to preparing your family for surviving a crisis or disaster. His name is Frank Mitchell, and you can check out his web site here.
Frank has tons of experience helping families prepare for any eventuality, so if you’re interested in surviving and thriving in a turbulent and uncertain world, go see his video now.
Peace of mind is sometimes tough to come by, but Frank will help you prepare for anything.